Frequently Asked Questions
The following are a list of commonly asked questions we receive on a regular basis. We hope that each response has sufficiently asnwered any of your questions. If not feel free to contact us anytime.
Click on each topic to expand the answer.
- What is data recovery?
Data recovery is the process of salvaging data from damaged, failed, corrupted, or inaccessible secondary storage media when it cannot be accessed normally. Often the data is being salvaged from storage media such as internal or external hard disk drives, solid state drives (SSD), USB flash, storage tapes, CDs, DVDs, RAID, and other electronics. Recovery may be required due to physical damage to the storage device or logical damage to the file system that prevents it from being mounted by the host operating system.
- How do I know if I need data recovery?
The symptoms indicating that you may need data recovery come in various forms. The most common forms are unusual noises coming from the hard drive such as clicking, buzzing, or beeping. In the event you experience this, it is extremely important to turn off your device to prevent further damage. Not being able to access your operating system may be another indicator that you will need data recovered.
- What do I do if my hard drive is clicking or making noises?
It is very important that you shut down your computer, or external hard drive in the event you hear any unusual noises as this usually indicates a mechanical issue with your drive. Continuing to use your hard drive during this time may cause serious irreversible damage which may cause you to lose your data permanently.
- What steps should I take if I need data recovery?
The first step to take if you need data recovered is to contact us. We will do our best to diagnose the issue over the phone although it is extremely difficult to put a price estimate on a device we have not evaluated.
- How much does data recovery cost?
The first step in every data recovery process is to determine the nature of the data recovery service you will need. Each case is different and can range in the level of complexity. Please visit our data recovery cost page for additional information.
- How does your process work?
1) The first step is to create a ticket in our system to gather information about the storage device you seek recovery on.
2) Drop off or mail us your hard drive following our packing instructions.
3) Once we receive your drive we will begin the evaluation immediately.
4) After determining what the issue is with your drive, we will contact you and provide you with a flat rate price quote to recover your data. Once we receive your authorization, we will begin the recovery.
5) After the recovery is complete we will safely package your drive and mail you back your data.
- Where do you put the recovered files?
If the files exceed 10GB, then we can put them on a DVD. If over, we have external hard drive available of various sizes.
Additionally, if you have fewer than 100MB of files, we can upload them to our secure website and make them available for download.
- When can I expect my data to be returned back to me?
We have several turn arounds available starting with our 24-48 hour expedited emergency data recovery services. We also offer standard-priority service which can take 5-8 business days, and our economy which runs 10-15 business days. In certain cases at the data recovery lab, extra parts need to be ordered, or other complications may arise. Please keep in mind that the turn around times have a possibility of taking longer in these cases.
- I have confidential information on my device. Should I worry?
Absolutely not. We provide confidentiality agreements with all our cases that guarantee your privacy and confidentiality. Rest assured that your data is safe in our hands.